Well here are some results for this week. I made 2 meals that came to under 7.50 each and weren’t too difficult to figure out the cost. First up was Macaroni and Cheese with little sausages and lima beans.
- 1lb macaroni noodles- .85
- 4 cups cheese- $2.99
- 1 egg- .13
- 1-16 oz packages of little sausages 2.20
Grand total: $6.17. Oh yeah, plus the limas which might have been $1.30 so actually 7.47. I’m not actually sure of the cost of the limas as they were from Angel Food but that’s probably pretty close.
Next up was turkey breast, mashed potatoes, carrots, and gravy. Now this meal is cheap because the turkey breast was on sale and will be used for 2 meals plus the potatoes were on sale.
Here’s the cost break down:
- 1- 7lb pound turkey breast (cooked the whole thing only ate half)- $3.50
- 3lbs potatoes- .70
- 1-16oz bag of carrots- 1.59 (however used a WIC check to get them)
- milk and butter for making potatoes I’m going to say about 1.25
- flour and seasoning for gravy I’m going with -.75
Grand total 6.54. Really not bad. This meal was definately based on sales and being able to use a WIC check.
I highly encourage you to make meals based on what you have and what’s on sale.